Monday, October 15, 2012

Something to Add to Your Womanly To-Do List


I like To-Do Lists.  And, I really like to cross things off as something gets accomplished. Especially now as a wife and mother, there are a lot of things that I would like to do with and for my husband and children.  But, a lot of the time, my mental wife/mother to-do list turns me into a panic-filled, fearful, disbelieving woman.  "If I don't do this for this child, I will ruin them." Or, other thoughts along those lines.  And, so I often find myself in a panic asking God what He would have me to do as a wife and mother. 

Today, as I was reading, I came across a verse that greatly helped me to rest in God:

"They said to Him, "What must we do to be doing the works of God?"  Jesus answered them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent."  John 6: 28-29

So, suffice it to say, Miss Goodie-Two-Shoes was shot down again today!

It's not about what I do.  He has done it all.  It is mine to look to Him who has accomplished every last good thing (C. J. Mahaney said once that only God completes everything on His To-Do List!) and rest in His work.  This doesn't mean then that I can get in my sweats, grab a bag of chips, and watch some soaps for the rest of my life!  But, it does mean, that as I fulfill my duties that He has given me, I don't rely on those things as a means for anything saving towards myself or others.  Because my 'good' things fall short of the glory of God. 

I am going to keep with my To-Do list.  However, tomorrow, I am adding 'Believe' to the top.  So that when all my well-intentioned plans go to pot, then, there is Jesus.   

No comments:

Post a Comment