Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Our Very Present Help in Trouble (and Fear)



This blog post is mainly addressed to me.  Hopefully, it will be a blessing to you as well seeing that you are most likely a woman...and women often suffer from fears of all sorts.

I don't know if its my husband being away for long stretches of time or the weight of caring for four young children largely on my own, or the knowledge that I am living in a rat-infested house or all of the above... but, my mind has been overladen with fears lately.

So, yesterday afternoon I went back to one of my favorite books called "Womanly Dominion" by Mark Chanski.  In his book, he has one chapter devoted to the subject of fear.  He writes:

"Emotional pain is God's calling us to draw near to Him.  'From the end of the earth I call to Thee, when my heart is faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.  For Thou hast been a refuge for me, a tower of strength against the enemy.  Let me dwell in Thy tents forever; let me take refuge in the shelter of Thy wings.'"

"When it comes to emotional instability, an open Bible in general is a great tranquilizer, and the Psalms in particular are an excellent pharmacy...The urged strategy is not to statisically dispel them: "Oh, the odds are against that calamity's ever happening."  It's not to sentimentally disqualify them: "Oh, your heavenly Father would never let such a bad thing happen."  And its not to forgetfully suppress them;  "Oh, just refuse to think about it."  Neither is it to medically numb them.  Instead, the urged strategy is to courageously face them!...."

"Our true consolation is found when we face head on the absolute worst case of what may indeed happen.  Then in the midst, we reckon His promise of His presence as ' our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.'"

"Should I need to endure my worst nightmare, He'll be there, to uphold me so I don't collapse or breakdown in despair.  As Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego found a sustaining and supporting Helper in their fiery ordeal, so will I not be left to walk alone either, "Therefore, we will not fear!"  This enables me to eye yonder furnace with a holy calm, to say as I draw potentially near to it, "It is well with my soul."

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Laura! You are so not alone! I think it has a lot to do with being mothers. I saw that you shared one of these quotes on facebook last night. I have never heard of this book, but I love these quotes. Facing our fearful thoughts, not running with them or trying to suppress them. But facing them. That is excellent advice!

    ReplyDelete