Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Gentleness in Confession

Last night as I was putting the kids to bed, I was gently convicted by the Father via Emily and Elizabeth.  Emily was reading a simple devotional for little girls that I had given my two daughters last year.   The devotional was on seeking forgiveness.  After she read the section, I asked the girls if they could remember anytime during the day when they should have sought forgiveness from God or another person.  They couldn't recall any moments.  Smile.

But, then, Elizabeth told me that she was sometimes scared to tell me if she had done something wrong because she was afraid that I would yell at her.  Oh ouch. 

And, I think back to when any of the children have caused an offense.  My tendency is to usually yell, "Stop!!!"  And, sometimes I add one of these brillant one-liners, "When are you ever going to stop doing that?"  OR  "When are you ever going to learn to do this?"   That's my natural, flesh-filled response that demands immediate obedience and brings immediate shame upon my children.  This is law-driven parenting.

But, as I thought about it later,  I believe that God would have me use those moments of weakness in my children to gently remind them to confess.  Confess that they don't want to share.  Confess that they used harsh words.  Confess that they failed to obey Daddy or Mommy.  And, they should be free to confess their shortcomings knowing that Mommy is going to deal with them gently.  This is grace-filled parenting.

Because, our Heavenly Father gently listens to our confessions.  Our Heavenly Father gently forgives our shortcomings.  And, our Heavenly Father gently helps us when we are weak.  Imaging our Father, our gentleness should be obvious to all, especially our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment